Sunday, July 1, 2012

"The Pit Stop", Roadside Barbecue at Gilberts Corner, and "Crystal's Cookies", Too.

Driving out towards Middleburg, Virginia,
   there is an intersection (where Route 15 and Route 50 meet) known as Gilbert's Corner.

Over the years, in an effort to escape the gridlock of Northern Virginia,
      I have driven past it . . .  through it . . .  and around it
(as it has been converted to a roundabout),

MANY TIMES.

And, there is one thing that is not hard to miss -
     the big ole' bar-b-que pit  (sitting off to the right, in a vacant lot),
with its dancing smoke, teasing passersby.  

But, I had never stopped.

Until recently.

We were on our way to a winery, my partner and I,
     and, as we approached Gilbert's Corner/Roundabout,
we decided to stop by for a snack.

I did not catch their names ( I will next time),
     but the family members who run "The Pit Stop" were extremely friendly and gracious.

They welcomed us as if we were old friends.

We ordered a half rack of ribs, and a side of potato salad.

The young man, who took our order, asked if we preferred spicy or mild sauce.

     "How spicy is spicy?" I asked.

     "SPI-CY!" he said.

He suggested mixing the two sauces.

So, we did.

He grabbed a rack off the pit, and placed it on the cutting board.

     "Whack".

He cut it in half.

     "Whack, whack, whack; whack, whack, whack," with the butcher's cleaver.

He whipped out a large piece of aluminum foil, and placed the ribs on top,   
     drizzled them with hot,
drizzled them with mild,
then wrapped them up, nice and snug.

We pulled a bottle of water from the large cooler,
      and sat down at one of the tables provided, underneath a small tent.

I should mention to you that I am NOT a huge fan of barbeque.

That does not mean I don't like it.  

At one time (probably after a phase of eating too much Red, Hot & Blue . . . too many times),
     I grew tired of them.

Mind you, I ate at Red, Hot & Blue because it was convenient and an okay place to take the kids,
     when the were little.   

As the kids grew older, and my choices for eating establishments broadened,
     so did my taste.

And, at some point, I became picky about the flavor of my barbeque,
     not willing to get my hands messy, unless I knew the experience would be worth it.

I took a bite of the ribs, and . . .

THIS sauce was GOOD. 

Not too sweet, not too thick, and with a nice TANG to it.

The meat was not "fall off the bone".

Some bites were better than others, but . . .
      the flavor was really good. 

And, the potato salad was nice and cold and tasty, too.

Just the right amount of mayo.

Next to "The Pit Stop",
     a nice lady named Crystal was selling cookies and homemade lemonade.

My partner and I shared a cup, and a molasses cookie.

Crystal warned us about the tartness of her lemonade but, personally,
     I did not find it tart enough.

Still, it was nice and cool and refreshing.

The molasses cookie was . . . DELICIOUS.    

All in all, it was a very pleasant roadside meal,
     and I would definitely visit again, repeating my exact order.



https://www.facebook.com/pages/THE-PIT-STOP/246362309869

http://www.crystalscookies.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment