Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Balsamic Basil Daiquiri

So, I was excited to try this recipe because the basil and balsamic intrigued me.
The recipe was given for one serving size,
     and I used enough ingredients to serve the four adults I had over for dinner.

When I tasted this drink, I was hoping for a "wow" factor.  Like, "Wow, this is really different and good!"

Now, granted, this is supposed to be a healthy version of a strawberry daiquiri, and it is.
There is no added sugar, though the cook's note on the recipe suggests adding up to 1/2 t superfine sugar, per serving, if your strawberries are not very sweet.

The sweet tooth of the bunch would have liked that.

I do not have much of a sweet tooth, so I prefer a drink with less sugar. 
I prefer a margarita with just lime juice and liquor - no sugar.

But . . . back to the strawberry daiquiri.

The initial taste in my mouth was somewhat . . . flat.
After taking a few sips, and really focusing on the flavors, I could taste the basil.  
Though the flavor was not strong, it did add an interesting twist.

The balsamic was barely noticeable.
Overall, the drink was good, but the added ingredients did not make it special ENOUGH.
Someone mentioned that it tasted like a healthy smoothy, which is accurate.

So, then, why bother with the liquor, at all?

I would like to try this drink again, and maybe "tweak" it a bit.
If it comes out better or more exciting,  I will let you know.
If you would like to try a go at "tweaking" it yourself,
     and come up with something good, please share!

This could be fun. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------


How's it taste?  

     Good, but disappointing.

Would I use this recipe again?   

     Yes, as a healthy smoothy.
     Not as something to impress a group of friends at a happy hour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer's note:
     I will never again forget to put the "i" after the "a" in the word "daiquiri".
    

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Fresh Strawberry Balsamic Basil Daiquiri
Recipe courtesy Ted Allen

Recipe from:  www.foodnetwork.com



Prep Time: 5 min.
Serves: 1 drink

Ingredients:
1/4 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
4 T light rum
1/2 t balsamic vinegar
2 large fresh basil leaves ( plus 1 for garnish )


No comments:

Post a Comment