Thursday, June 14, 2012

I Prefer Red

I am not a wine connoisseur, but I know what I like.

I prefer RED, and I drink the recommended amount.
Sometimes, a little bit more.   

That's not to say that I have not enjoyed a few bottles of WHITE.
But, as I said, I prefer RED. 

If I read the description on the label, I can most likely identify all of the flavors that it suggests.
The hint of oak or coffee, cherry or mulberry, plum, fig, or vanilla.
Dry, sweet, or full bodied.
I can take a sip and say,
 
 "Yes, I taste that!  I TASTE that oak, that coffee . . . that mulberry!"   

On the other hand, if you were to ask me to identify the flavors WITHOUT looking at the label,
     I probably could not. 
I COULD tell you whether I liked it, or not,
     and whether it was TOO dry, TOO sweet, TOO tart, or . . . quite nice.   


Recently, I have enjoyed two very good bottles of red:

     1) Tormaresca, Neprica, 2010, Puglia, Italy

          Tasting notes (CostcoWineBlog.com):  

"Nothing crazy jumps out on the nose, a little spicy, floral, but then the dark fruit flavors with some chocolate and tobacco kicks in.  Dry finish, some pepper that hangs out for a while.  Easy to enjoy.

and 

     2)  Cholilaranch, Malbec, 2009, Patagonia, Argentina

          Tasting notes (from the label):

"Deep purple color. Aromos of ripe plum and mulberry with violet hints.  
     Ripe black fruits and fig on the palate with touches of smoke and vanilla."

I purchase both of these bottles for under $20 at Total Wine & More in Fairfax, Virginia.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's it taste? 

     Both QUITE good.  On their own, OR with a meal.  

Would I purchase them both again? 

     DEFINITELY.



No comments:

Post a Comment